Re: Scripting in Gnome

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 11:04, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:33 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > How about supporting scripting so that apps could be built using just
> > scripts in XML (similar to mozilla's XUL)? Its also a great way to
> > extend finctionality on say Gnome panel (Eg being able to have say
> > OnMouseOver events and such like).
> >
> > Would be great to have a GnomeScript app that takes in a script language
> > definition/specification as an xml file and allows this new language to
> > be used for such scripting.
>
> What would be *really* nice is a desktop-wide object model (be it DOM or
> something else) and proliferation of this among apps, so you can do
> those absolutely incredible things you can do with COM/AppleScript.

At James Henstridge's "scripting on the GNOME Desktop" talk at
linux.conf.au a few weeks ago, he talked about exactly this problem (and
where we stand with solutions). If you can wait a few weeks, the ISO
containing conference proceedings and audio tracks will be available for
people to download and everybody can listen to his talk for themselves.

Malcolm