Re: how to make desktop app send email?

W liście z pią, 16-07-2004, godz. 21:14, Sean Middleditch pisze:
> If we want something to work with legacy applications, we'd need a new
> command (gnome-send-mail or the like), with a given command line syntax,
[snip]
> Extend that to provide a libgnomemail with a simple API for composing
> mails, and we'd have a pretty sharp setup.  On many machines, it would
> just call gnome-send-mail, which might just call sendmail, and work.  In
> other instances, it would use a backend or evolution.  The API can allow
> the application to identify itself to the backend, so the user can put
> in various simplistic (and non-secure) access controls or options.

Win32 has something called MAPI for that I think, to which apparently
all mail clients comply. This is however all of my knowledge of this
thing. It'd be probably useful to look it up, and propose spec on FDO.

> Would be pretty useful, I think.

Certainly, it's pretty ashaming that UNIX still hasn't obvious way to
send stupid email, despite pioneering it some 30 years ago.

Cheers,
Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"