Re: Request for Comments: GNOME Notifier

This allready exists and is called dashboard. But I thought I heard it
was discontinued :/.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Franco Catrin L. wrote:

> I want to receive some ideas and thoughts from you about a User
> Notification System for GNOME, or better than that, a Desktop User
> Notification System.
>
> I understand a DUNS as a single place where all notifications are sent
> and presented in some way to the user.  For example to receive a message
> when a new mail arrives or when a friend is online.
>
> This email is based on some ideas presented here:
>
> http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/archive/2004/Mar-12.html
>
> and here
>
> http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5659
>
> I am not a GNOME neither a DBUS expert, so please put down any flame
> machine.  I put together some working code as "notifier" in GNOME CVS,
> I've taken some code from here and there. It does almost nothing but is
> the base code for a notification application. I don't want to write just
> an application to "fill the space", I hope to gather ideas to write a
> good specification for an application of this type before continue on
> writing any code.
>
> I think that the notification service should be Desktop independant, and
> it should be seen as a facility provided by the Desktop Environment.  In
> this sense it should be an specification of FreeDesktop.org.
>
> An application that wants to notify the user should send a D-Bus message
> to the notification system.  An application listening for these messages
> is responsible of showing them in some way.  GNOME Notifier should be an
> application of this type.
>
> So we have:
>
> Aplications -> DBUS -> Notifier Application (GNOME Notifier, KDE
> Notifier, XFCE Notifier, etc)
>

> For this spec to be successful, there should be several types of
> messages, depending of the priority and interactivity required for it.
> It's not the same to have a message about "new wireless network
> discovered" than "battery is 10% and disconnected from power source".
>
> Depending on the type of the message, the application can do something
> different.  For example for low priority messages, there should be a
> small unobstrusive popup that hides itself after a few seconds ("network
> cable disconnected"), but other may requiere some interaction ("low disk
> space").
>
> I have thought that some messages need to remain visibles to the user
> until he notifies the application that the messages were seen.  I don't
> like the idea of stacking popups, because it fills up the screen and the
> size mismatch of the different notifications make them look odd.  I
> think that a better idea may be to first show the notification popup,
> and after a few seconds convert it in an icon in the same notification
> area applet, using the same icon provided for the notification, or may
> be a set of icons (animation).
>
> Take for example a "new email arrived" message.  Instead of having a
> separate application that ask the server for new emails.  The same
> [...]

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."