Re: GNOME PPP

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 00:29, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> El jue, 03-06-2004 a las 23:08, +1000, Jeff Waugh escribió:
> > Morning!
> >
> > How timely, GNOME PPP was mentioned on OS News today:
> >
> >   http://www.gnome-ppp.org/
> >
> > Vladimir, would you consider proposing GNOME PPP for GNOME 2.8? Would it
> > work alongside and/or integrate with GNOME System Tools, if we decided to
> > ship it?
>
> it could be really nice to get integration, although the g-s-t do the
> PPP stuff quite nicely (as far as I've been able to test it) they
> absolutely lack a ppp-oriented gui and cool things like a notification
> area icon
>
> just curiosity, the g-s-t have been lately moving towards using the
> distros' PPP stuff instead of relying in wvdial, one of the reasons are
> that wvdial.conf file is only root readable by default, and thus,
> dialing is only accessible by root, how does gnome-ppp handle this?

I'd *really* prefer to see a GNOME-blessed PPP tool which integrates
with the distributions PPP setup.  i.e. Debian has a pretty nice set of
tools and configuration files which mean creating a PPP connection is
quite simple, and can be bought up/down with pon/poff.  Thus, using
gnome-ppp on a Debian box means that I can't bring up any PPP
connections I create with it outside of GNOME, or automatically at boot
time, etc.

g-s-t is apparently moving in the right direction, but I've not used it
since.... GNOME 2.5.something when it attempted to use wvdial (IIRC).

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./