Gnome 2.7.1 -> mime & .desktop files

Hi,

I recently downloaded the Gnome 2.7.1 release and compiled to have a
look & file some bugs, and have an odd problem (this is sorta a sanity
check ;))

Anyway, Nautilus seems to completely ignore mime data. All files except
folders appear as blank pages, and files have no actions associated with
them. .desktop, .drive files just appear as text / a desktop picture.

Did my build go wrong / miss something (I was sure to build gnome-mime-
data, and the File types and Programs dialogue shows all the data is
there), or is this just an offshot of some current dev work on the mime
system?

If this is the wrong list for this sort of thing, I'm sorry. I had a
look down the list of lists, and this seem appropriate.

Thanks for your time and help,

Ed Mack