Re: Explicit copying into the clipboard without selecting

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 19:13, Mariano Suárez-Alvarez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Docs I've found relating to clipboard selections (mostly the fd.o
> ‘spec’) do not seem to cover the case in which something is copied into
> the clipboard without previously selecting it, like you can do by right
> clicking on a url in gnome-terminal or evolution, and selecting the Copy
> Link Address/Location menu item. Should this change both the CLIPBOARD
> -and- the PRIMARY selections, or just the CLIPBOARD?
>
> I do think the second option is better, since the PRIMARY is supposed to
> be the last selected thing, and there might be some selected text at the
> time such a menu item is hit, and it'd be weird to unselect it, but what
> do I know.
>
> Evo is now changing both selections (it did affect only the PRIMARY
> selection not long ago iirc) and the terminal only changes the
> CLIPBOARD. I have not looked for more examples, but context menus for
> urls are likely to have such items.
>
> It'd be nice to do this consistently throughout the desktop (and across
> desktops, by adding this case to the fd.o spec, eventually...)

I don't think ad-hoc changes here are right. If we stop making
middle-button paste correspond exactly to the selected text,
then we need some other precise description of how PRIMARY
should work.

The proposal I've made in the past is "short-cut paste"; see

 https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2003-August/msg00091.html

This involves various other consequences:

 - We should stop deselecting when we lose primary

And probably also:

 - Copy from the menu (or control-C) should also grab primary

Regards,
					Owen