Re: Metacity Proposal: Grouping Windows

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:40:19PM -0700 or thereabouts, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> Proposal to Add Grouping to Metacity, and some Rationale
[...]
> A random, non-scientific sample of 20 junior Computer Science students
> at a major university running Ximian GNOME 1.4 on Sun workstations,
> shows that only 3 users made use of more than one desktop. All were
> running multiple tasks/windows (usually emacs, terminal, mozilla). When
> 5 students were asked why they weren't using the extra desktops, three
> didn't know what that they existed, and two didn't consider it worth the
> effort to maintain multiple desktops. This is purely anecdotal and
> *unscientific*, but hopefully illustrative.

Before using this as a basis, you might be interested in a
similar random non-scientific poll which Seth conducted a
year or two ago. The results of his were a bit different.

The entire thing is worth a read so I am not going to attempt
to summarise it:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-August/msg00199.html

[rest snipped]

Telsa