Re: gscreensaver :: a bit of a mockup

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 17:25 +0200, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Am Di, den 04.05.2004 schrieb Davyd Madeley um 10:36:
> >  - D-Bus support (tell the desktop we're blanking the screen),
>
>   What I'd like to see is a way for other "screen saving providers" to
> get integrated into this stuff. I currently think of the ppbbuttonsd
> which controls some of my multimedia-keys, which can turn off the
> backlight of the lcd display. This would be a lot nicer than being
> forced to execute a screensaver hack.

Perhaps... it would seem more sane to use the "blank" hack, and listen
on DBUS for when to execute your backlight switch.

Something else that needs to be considered from a screensaver point of
view is the multimedia buttons. You should be able to use these even
when the screensaver is running. Ideally they could work even when the
screen is locked, a gconf key could have something like
	multimedia_buttons_work_when_screen_is_locked:always
						      volume-only
                                                      never
This would allow John in the cubicle next door to turn your music down
when you've gone to lunch.

The plan is to first get a working prototype that will screensave, read
basic gconf options, and lock/unlock a screen. After that we can value
add with features for administrators, extra gconf keys, you name it...

--d

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA