Re: promoting free media codecs from GNOME

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 11:03, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 12:54 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Do people think that promoting the use of free codecs (ie, enabling
> > those by default, and only use those out of the box) is the right way to
> > go ?
>
> Yes. Absolutely and 100%. I do think that being able to support non-free
> codecs/protocols is unfortunately important, but whenever it is sane we
> should default in all our tools to pushing free equivalents of equal
> functionality.

Well, there's one case where this could be a problem.  Say I'm ripping
some CDs to upload them to my iPod or some other portable music player.
If I'm a user with little knowledge of audio formats, I'll just rip to
the default (Ogg, perhaps?).  Then I go to use some nifty tool to upload
to the portable music player and find out these files don't work.  My
only options are to learn about file formats (time consuming, and many
users will get upset if you force them to learn about stuff they'd
rather not care about) or for the music uploader app to auto-convert the
files (and it's not a good thing to convert one lossy audio format into
another...).