Re: Gnome 2.6: What were you thinking?

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:55:35PM +0100, jamie wrote:

> My only gripe with the spatial mode is why doesn't the default left
> click open stuff in the same window instead of popping up a new one? I
> dont know about most people but 90% of the time I dont want things
> opening up in a separate window so shouldn't the default left click
> represent this the most commonly needed functionality?

I don't know if it was a reason, but it should have been:
Unifiying desktop and filemanager. Clicking on an icon on the desktop
opens a new window. Same should happen in folder windows!

> I would like to see Nautilus behave in a similar way to tabbed browsers
> so what do people think about having a tabbed nautilus to reduce window
> clutter? (you would then have left click to open in the same tab/window,
> middle click to open in a new tab and right click to select "open in new
> window" from the drop down menu)

Too many options (IMHO). And DnD doesn't work nicely with tabbing.
And I would rather like to see tabbing implemented on WM level,
than having it added to yet another app.

---
Thorsten Wilms