Re: Gnome 2.6: What were you thinking?

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 07:52, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:38:00PM +0100, jamie wrote:
> > My request for changing default behaviour is based on this and also that
> > from a usability point of view the most commonly used stuff should be
> > based on the left click.
>
> Are you sure it is or should be most commonly used? And I think consistency
> is more important (at least in this case). Left opens Files in new windows,
> so it should do the same for folders.
>
> > Separate tabs are no different to separate windows from a spatial point
> > of view - the theory still holds.
>
> The window is the folder. With tabs like in Gedit, a window could be 2
> or more folders. Breaks the model.

"Consistency", "breaks the model", etc. I thought the initial idea of
the spatial whatever was usability.

The spatial nautilus may be a cute exercise but there is no way I can
require 300 users to use it when they only occasionally use Gnome. As
one of the previously referred to web sites indicates, it took the
author (and proponent of the spatial finder) "only" a week to get used
to it. This leaves us  in a bind: In GNOME 2.6 there does not seem to be
a reasonable alternative to nautilus, sticking with GNOME 2.4 we have a
`nautilus' that is crashing every half hour.

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences