Re: new module for gnome 2.10: goobox

<quote who="Paolo Bacchilega">

> I propose Goobox for inclusion in the desktop part of GNOME.
>
> Goobox is a CD player and ripper, it uses GStreamer to play and rip CDs,
> cdparanoia is the only required gstreamer plugin because it's used to play
> CDs, the plugins used to rip CDs are: vorbisenc, flacenc, lame, wavenc;
> however this plugins are optional and their availability is checked at
> runtime.  Another options dependency is libneon, if present it is used to
> search and download CD cover images on Internet.
>
> There is neither documentation nor localisation at the moment;
> accessibility should be fairly easy because the only custom widget is the
> volume button widget; usability and HIG-compliance are the reason why I
> did this program so there is no problem here ;)

Given that sound-juicer has existed as a popular GNOME application for some
time, is one of the great examples of HIG-compliant, well thought out GNOME
application design, includes documentation, has been translated, hammered on
fairly solidly, and has plans to integrate CD playing functionality... What
do you think are the differentiating factors that would convince everyone to
switch to goobox?

[ It looks rad, btw, but I'm not sure why you didn't contribute CD playing
patches to sound-juicer. :-) ]

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia         http://lca2005.linux.org.au/

  "Everything I knew about TCP/IP I had downloaded the same day I started
                     hacking the net code." - Alan Cox