Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 23:44 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> It's funny how many people seem to be interested in an ESD
> backend. Although I consider this a bad idea (you loose most of what
> you gain through using polypaudio by using it on top of esd), I will
> eventually add a driver for it. Unfortunately my todo list is
> currently jammed with items regarding polypaudio.
The only thing an ESD back-end would offer is the guarantee that GNOME
supports all the operating systems it previously did. This is very
important from the perspective of the GNOME project as a whole. We can't
afford to have regressions, even if it is for a "minority" operating
system with no developer with enough knowledge and time to make a
polyaudio back-end before 2.10.

I agree that technically it is a crappy idea, but I was thinking of a
quick hack to keep things going rather than a good solution.

 - Callum