Re: Proposing module: PyGTK

Murray Cumming wrote:
On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 14:17 +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

Murray Cumming wrote:

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 13:32 +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
[snip]

Also, as a third party developer having Pygtk in the desktop would make a difference to me when I was chosing language to use for my application. Since I could then count on every GNOME desktop to have the bindings, rather than having an extra dependency to bug users with...

[snip]

No, distros will ship what they want. They don't care whether we put a
library in our Desktop release set. They can only be forced to ship a
library if they really want an application that uses it.

If our desktop depends on it they don't really have a choice if they want to ship GNOME.
Yes, if an important Desktop module depends on it, then they must ship
it. Regardless of whether it's in Desktop or Bindings.

So what needs to be decided is whether Python should just be a binding *to* our platform or be *part of* our platform. Imho it should be part of the platform, not a binding to it. And therefor I think it should go into it rather than being in the bindings platform.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com/