Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 02:31:04AM +0100, Alejandro S?nchez Acosta wrote:
> On Sunday 07 November 2004 01:46, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:32:47 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > Do you plan for this to move to the GNOME Developer Platform suite, or
> > > the freedesktop.org Platform?
> >
> > I'll let Christian answer this, but I believe the intention was if the
> > freedesktop.org platform solidifies and actually becomes a dependency of
> > KDE/GNOME to go there. It was written and designed with this in mind.
>
> KDE already has a notification technology with knotify. It may be more
> productive in the long run to make sure their input and needs are met, and
> then establishing a common notification specification within freedesktop.

We've been discussing this with them. From my understanding, KDE apps
are going to continue using KNotify for the time being, but KNotify
will also support the spec. So, applications that sent notifications
through the spec would emit notifications that looked like those
produced through calls to KNotify. I'm sure at some point, things can
be changed so that KDE apps would send these notifications as well.

Discussions have been going on for some time over on xdg-list about
the spec.

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The Galago Project
chipx86 gnupdate org      <>  http://galago.sourceforge.net/