Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:04:15 -0800, Christian Hammond wrote:
> Nod. That's how notification-daemon is handled, which is one reason
> why I don't think it being its own daemon is a problem. D-BUS just
> activates it. If it for some reason crashes, fine, the next time
> something wants a notification, it gets activated again. No real loss
> of info, save for maybe the notification that caused the crash.

That reminds me, we need to consider automatic shutdown. At the moment
once activated it lives for ever which doesn't cost very much (and will
cost less once icon theme data caching is up and running), but might not
be what we want.

Making it shutdown 20 seconds after the last notification wouldn't be too
hard though you have to be really careful about races (don't accept a
Notify request once the decision to shutdown has been made, that sort of
thing).

thanks -mike