Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

<quote who="Bastien Nocera">

> One solution, which as far as I remember is quite close to what KDE does
> would be:
> - another super-daemon, very very light
> - the ability to launch one or more "plugins" individually (think,
> debugging a complicated daemon program)
> - the ability to add/remove auto-started daemons.

Another option is to aggregate related functionality in visible structures.
ie. even if the daemon was designed to replace (or is conceptually different
to) the applet, a tactile representation of it is easier to understand. It's
like the difference between fixing a car with electronic fuel injection and
a greasy carburettor. (This is not a general solution, but makes sense in a
lot of cases.)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia         http://lca2005.linux.org.au/

    "Orphaned farm-boy hero helps save world against bad-guys, begins a
   journey of self-discovery, and makes interesting friends. Passable." -
                        Andrew Bennetts on Star Wars