Re: Proposing gnome-doc-utils for 2.10

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 11:36, Chipzz wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Shaun McCance wrote:
>
> > I've just made the first release of gnome-doc-utils.  This includes
> > DocBook XSLT stylesheets and some build utilities, including Danilo's
> > über-cool xml2po.  The stylesheets are currently required by Yelp from
> > HEAD to run.  I'm proposing this for inclusion in the desktop for 2.10,
> > with the intention of moving it to the developer platform once all the
> > interfaces have stabilized.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like a package required to build
> GNOME, but not to run it. So why are the stylesheets in a devel package?

The package has both build utilities and runtime dependencies.  I don't
really see any problem with that.  You can disable the build utilities
with --disable-build-utils, if you're into that sort of thing.  Venders
that make -devel packages can easily create gnome-doc-utils-devel.

If I split the source package like that, we'd have a circular dependency
like so:

gnome-doc-utils would require gnome-doc-utils-devel to build.
gnome-doc-utils-devel would require some of the stylesheets in
gnome-doc-utils to work.

--
Shaun