Re: How we make decisions... [Fwd: Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10]

On Thu, 11.11.04 19:48, Sri Ramkrishna (sri aracnet com) wrote:

Hi!

> By the end of the thread, the author of this particular piece of
> technology has:
>
> * No idea what he really needs to get this accepted by the GNOME
>   community. Sure  he's been asked to fix a couple of things.  Some
>   minor complaints about not working on non-FPU systems but really no
>   appreciable list.  If we're serious, lets create a bugzilla component
>   for him and get at least some branching and testing going.  Getting
>   rid of Esound is great goal for 2.10 or the next release after and at
>   least one distro is using it.

BTW: I (the polypaudio guy) created a small todo list from all the
issues (or at least those I consider sensible and useful) that were
discussed on this mailing list recently. And I am currently working on
closing as many issues of the list as I can. The issues I already
closed are:

- X11 root window property based authentication
- IPv6 support
- fall back to getpwnam when $HOME is not set
- use setreuid() instead of setuid()
- don't use access() any more
- I investigated Alan Cox's point on TCP_NODELAY. However I cannot
  follow him on this. If I don't enable this option on the TCP sockets
  the transfer latency becomes horribly undeterministic. And for
  applications that repeatedly query latency information (like every
  movie player around) this is more than counterproductive. Therefore
  I reenabled TCP_NODELAY after a quick and unsuccessful test phase.
- chdir("/")

The still not closed issues are:
- non-fp mixing/resampling
- an esound backend (i am currenlty working on this)
- check getadrrinfo() results.
- support for x11 synchronization extension
- document all functions in the source code and limit resources of all kinds

I consider this a complete list of all issues I've been able to
identify during the discussions on this mailing list. If something's
missing, please tell me what.

I plan to release a new version of polypaudio when i closed all issues
from the list above (except x11 synchronization), so that nobody is
able to find another objection for adapting gnome for polypaudio.

> I could feel that he was getting frustrated and irritated dealing with
> this community.

Not really. This is free software after all, I didn't expect it any
better... ;-)

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }