Re: Browsing deep hierarchies in spatial mode

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 14:30 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 19.11.2004, 15:38 -0800 schrieb Gabriel Bauman:
>
> > Right now in GNOME under spatial mode, it's a pain to get to a given
> > folder that's several layers deep.
> [...]
> > The BeOS Tracker solved this problem elegantly several years back. The
> > first option on every folder's context menu was a menu item that allowed
> > you to drill down through the hierarchy below the selected folder.
> [...]
> > Under BeOS you could also right click the desktop and drill down through
> > folders on the desktop, using the same system.
> [...]
> > What are people's thoughts on this? IMO, this simple improvement could
> > improve the GNOME spatial experience immensely. It might even boost
> > spatial mode's popularity with the fanatical "Browser mode" sect.
>
> You're completely right, this sounds like a rocking idea. I've tried
> adding such a nautilus extension to my bookmark-applet (CVS:
> bookmark-applet), since it already exposes widgets that turn folders
> into GtkMenus/GtkMenuItems. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the
> NautilusMenuProvider read my widgets, because it wants
> NautilusMenuItems. If anybody could tell me how to use plain
> GtkMenuItems with submenus as NautilusMenuItems (I fear this might not
> be possible), the rest is kid's play.

The nautilus context menues are bonobo based so I dont think you can
directly use them that way. You just need to put a place holder for it
in the xml schema and dynamically populate it - it shouldn't be too
difficult as I did something similiar when implementing the "Copy Files
To" submenu in Nautilus Plus and it was fairly straight forward.

jamie.