Re: Browsing deep hierarchies in spatial mode

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:21:31 +0100, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 08:57:10AM +0200, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
>
> > Sounds like Yet Another Way to Make Spatial More Navigational to me.
>
> It wouldn't change anything about the spatial model, but
> works as an addition.

It would expose the filesystem tree to the spatial mode, which is
pretty much what has been purposely avoided. It's only in context
menus, so perhaps not too bad.

And I just wanted to point out that no matter what you do to spatial
mode, it won't be good for deep hierarchies (or it won't be spatial).

I'm still not convinced why this would be far better than browser mode
and the tree sidepanel though. I mean, you don't just happen to browse
a deep hierarchy, it's premetidated and thus can be done with the
browser.

> > Also, wouldn't that result in a context menu mile long and two tall?
> > Submenu after submenu hardly sounds more usable than numerous clicks
> > (BTW, you can cut the amount of clicking to half if you use
> > single-click ;).
> Yes, it results in long and deep menus. But like everyone
> who used it on BeOS knows it's not a problem to handle
> that. I found it to be suprisingly easy and fast to use.

So, assuming that gtk menus are in par with BeOS's, it wouldn't be a
problem to browse to say '/usr/share/doc/libgtk2.0-doc' with submenus?
My /usr/share/doc folder has few less than 1000 directories, I don't
want to even think how many of these actually fit on-screen at the
same time.

I would not think it wise to implement stuff that goes *boom*[1] on a
very common scenario found in probably all installations.

[1] Yes, I know that if there's no boom today, there's boom tomorrow.
There's always boom tomorrow.
--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi