Re: Browsing deep hierarchies in spatial mode

There used to be a KDE menu for the filesystem hierarchy that was fun to
play with, because you could easily get huge numbers of items in a
single menu, or a zillion levels of submenu. You'd run out of screen
space on the right, then submenus start appearing to the left, then you
get back to the left side, then start going right again... pretty good
torture test for the menu code anyhow to make a huge zigzag all over the
screen ;-)

Yup. That's what I mentioned on my previous email. The KDE implementation didn't feel right. Under BeOS, it is very elegant though, but that has mostly to do with the fact that BeOS users almost never mess up with the system folders, and their home folder is very clean (usually no more than 10-20 items, including hidden items), resulting in much fewer menu items and screens. For this to work adequately in Unix, fundamental things have to change first, and of course, they won't.

Eugenia