Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Llu, 2004-11-22 at 21:56, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> - X11 root window property based authentication
> - IPv6 support
> - fall back to getpwnam when $HOME is not set
> - use setreuid() instead of setuid()

setreuid or setresuid ?

> - I investigated Alan Cox's point on TCP_NODELAY. However I cannot
>   follow him on this. If I don't enable this option on the TCP sockets
>   the transfer latency becomes horribly undeterministic. And for
>   applications that repeatedly query latency information (like every
>   movie player around) this is more than counterproductive. Therefore
>   I reenabled TCP_NODELAY after a quick and unsuccessful test phase.

Ok

> - chdir("/")

> The missing issues are:
> - support for the X11 synchronization extension
>   I am willing to support this. Unfortunately there's currently no
>   example for things like this I am aware of, no X11 client which I

Xorg doesnt currently have this so its nots an urgent issue I suspect.

> - Passing meta information for the hearing impaired. I am sorry, I
>   don't see this as stumbling block for polypaudio's adoption

That seems to be a gnome client side concern anyway - perhaps audio API
provided comments go somewhere like ATK not polypaudio

> Am I even near to get this into Gnome 2.10? Are there any general
> objections towards replacing Esound with Polypaudio? I am interested
> in a "yes" or "no" statement as definite and official as I can get it.

I'd like to see it get in now the big problems are stomped. It's not
perfect yet (no software is anyway) but it seems better than esd by far
now.