Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 15:46 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Solaris doesnt use ALSA, FreeBSD doesnt use ALSA, Irix doesn't use
> ALSA.... Embedded audio devices aren't going to be up to  running ALSA

Right, but I think it makes more sense to figure out the right
architecture first and then look at the portability aspects. If it turns
out that features XYZ are better implemented at a lower level than GNOME
then so be it. Otherwise the cart is leading the horse, or however you
say it :)

> but could run polyp or esd. ALSA doesn't deal with networking nor can it
> easily get involved.

Embedded devices probably don't care about software mixing and network
streaming anyway. ALSAs alsalib is just another point at which you can
tee off audio rather than doing it at the app level with lots of
drivers, or at the GStreamer level.

thanks -mike