Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 21:48 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> The problem is daemons that have be persistent; alarm daemons, things
> that own X selections, and so forth. At least for stuff with GUI (i.e.
> calls gtk_init()) there's a fair bit of overhead per-process.

But shouldn't we be working on solving that problem in general?  Unless
it's also being suggested to shove every application into a single
process as well?

> We already
> have one "big daemon with lots of small unrelated stuff in it" (gnome-
> settings-daemon) for this reason. We could easily have 50 little daemons
> if we don't cram some stuff together, and if you take the base GTK
> overhead as 200K (too low last time I was paying attention), that's 10
> megs.

50 sounds excessive; from a glance at CVS, 17 looks closer to the mark.
Anyways, I wasn't suggesting that gnome-settings-daemon be broken up;
see below.

> Right now we can't
> security-jail anything that connects to the X server anyhow, for
> example.

Yes, but that will be fixed.

> We probably want anything big/complicated to be its own daemon, also.
> Since we wouldn't want it to crash the main one.

Ok, as long as we're agreeing it should be possible to run desktop
extensions in a separate process, I'm perfectly happy.  I just don't
want to hardcode it.  There's no reason that the extension code would
need to be any different between the two cases anyways; it could just be
a flag in the XML file or whatever.