Re: ARC & GNOME [Was: How we make decisions...]

В Втр, 30/11/2004 в 19:27 +1300, Glynn Foster пишет:
> Hey,
>
> > I've seen a number of references to concerns about interface stability
> > from Sun; I'm curious what the examples are.
>
> We're not just talking about library interfaces here. We're also talking
> about binary names, file locations, file formats, package names, ... you
> name it. I think GNOME has done a pretty decent job for library
> stability [1], but the other stuff we've not been so good with.
>
> Glynn
>

> [1] The only breakages we're seeing on our side from 2.0 were from
> libgnomeprint* and a single API or so that we introduced before the
> multihead GTK+ got upstream

I'd like to mention very serious breakage that was done some time ago -
drop of usage of bonobo in nautilus. It is not the library breakage but
as serious as remove of library, I think.

For example, lots of nice applications of nautilus view's embedding was
written. And what their authors should do now - port to new interface?

It would be better to discuss it with GEP first before applying.