Re: Polypaudio action plan

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> 1) Remove all usage of esound from libgnome and associated applications,
>    and replace it with GStreamer where possible

GStreamer is currently included in the Desktop suite, not the Platform, so
this would mean either: a) GStreamer should be proposed for the Platform, or
b) we consider GStreamer an external dependency, outside the scope of GNOME.

> 1a) Where not possible (gnome_audio_connection_get), a compile-time
>     option is provided for systems desiring esound compatibility

So, is the proposed "always return -1" change sufficiently unexpected that
it would have a detrimental affect on semantic API compatibility? If not,
are there any further reasons to be uncomfortable doing it?

> 2) Enhance GStreamer to provide a sample ding caching abstraction
> 3) Drop esound from the official platform; or perhaps "strongly
>    deprecate"

We'd have to deprecate it only.

> 4) Make GStreamer the only sound API for GNOME; official
>    Platform/Desktop modules are not allowed to require anything else
> 5) Give a link in the release notes to Polypaudio and/or esound for
>    systems in need of a sound daemon
> 6) Participate in dancing in the streets due to demise of esound

This seems like a good enough short term plan, but I'd be surprised if this
doesn't come up again in the future. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

    "Orphaned farm-boy hero helps save world against bad-guys, begins a
   journey of self-discovery, and makes interesting friends. Passable." -
                        Andrew Bennetts on Star Wars