Re: Remove unused icons in gnome-desktop

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 11:40, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il mar, 2004-10-05 alle 12:03, Mark McLoughlin ha scritto:
> >
> > 	If you're talking about changing things to use icons which already
> > exist, then that might be reasonable but would need to be considered
> > case by case. However, moving gnome-mailcheck.png to
> > gnome-applets/mailcheck and installing it in icons/hicolor/48x48/apps is
> > a sensible thing to do if we don't make it use an existing icon.
>
> Of course. I'm sorry, I meant
>
>       * edit the mailcheck applet code to use the named icon
>         (stock_inbox or stock_mail) yet available in g-i-t
>       * delete gnome-mailcheck.png from gnome-desktop package
>
> So when I wrote "remove" I meant "delete". Everytime.

	Oh, okay - discuss the changes with Davyd, then.

> > > Note that those icons/pixmaps are in g-i-t 2.9.0 so I'm working on a
> > > patch for gnome-applets to:
> > >      1. add dependence on g-i-t >= 2.9.0
> > >      2. add dependence on gtk+ >= 2.5.0
> > >      3. edit the .desktop file of applet and change the value of Icon
> > >         entry
> > >      4. edit the .server file of applet and change the value of
> > >         "panel:icon" oaf_attribute
> > >      5. edit the code to use the new gtk_window_set_default_icon_name ()
> > >      6. edit the code to use the new GtkAboutWindow widget with the
> > >         named icon as logo.
> >
> > 	I think Davyd is doing some of this at the moment. Might want to sync
> > up with him.
>
> email ?

	See gnome-applets/MAINTAINERS - at the bottom.

> But the pixbuf for logo is loaded before build up the about dialog, and
> it's a GdkPixbuf. I don't think GTK+ automatically update a pixbuf when
> it's loaded from a named icon.

	Ah - what you've discovered is an API bug then. We should have

void gtk_about_dialog_set_icon_name (GtkAboutDialog *about,
                                     const char     *icon_name);

	I reckon. You should log a bug, maybe even work on an implementation.

	That's the great thing about starting to use GTK+ 2.5 now - there's
still a chance to fix these things.

> > >      A. icon is used somewere in GNOME Desktop
> > >      B. a copy of the icon is yet in g-i-t
> > >      C. icon follows guidelines
> > >      D. icon can be useful
> >
> > 	If an icon only falls under the "it can be useful" category, then
> > *that* sounds like a generic icon to me and should be somewhere like
> > gnome-icon-theme.
>
> True, but non all generic pixmaps (note, pixmaps, not icons) need to be
> themeable (exampe: gnome-logo*) ;-)

	Yeah, good point. Okay, I'd be happy if the rule for for icons in
gnome-desktop was "logos only".

Cheers,
Mark.