Re: Speed improvement of gnome-terminal

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 09:41 -0400, Dave Ahlswede wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 15:21 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Pango is used very little in vte. I think at this point the major
> > slowdown in gnome-terminal is rendering the text. If you pick a bitmap
> > font its a lot faster. If someone wants to optimize this they need to
> > work on the Xserver level to make Xrender faster. Latest Xorg version
> > already has some optimizations in this area.
>
> I don't think that's entirely it.. rxvt-unicode has similar capabilities
> to Gnome-terminal (Xft fonts, unicode support, automatic
> font-switching), and for some reason or another renders text much
> faster.
>
> This can be observed by catting a large text file (One that would take
> several seconds to completely print), and observing a CPU monitor--
> Gnome-terminal causes the CPU usage to go up appreciably higher than
> rxvt-unicode's. (On my system, gnome-terminal measures about 40% usage,
> while rxvt measures in at about 13%). This is with the same Xft font,
> fully antialiased.
>
> So I think there's definitely a possibility for some sort of speedup in
> the rendering somewhere.

One thing you can think about is - what is the correct behavior when
catting a large text file to a terminal - shouldn't it just show the
last page instantly?

If someone really wanted to work on vte, I think the first question
you'd have to answer is "what is the ideal behavior you are shooting
for" - one possible answer is that it should read data as fast as
possible off standard in and show one page per vertical blanking
refresh at the current position.

Regards,
						Owen