Re: request for freeze breakage 2/2

Hi,

> Thomas (who maintains gnome-media with me) has proposed to revert the
> patch for now.

Just to be clear, my actual recommendation was that it should use the
old system by default.

This is because normal computers are expected to be installed correctly,
with the cable connected from CD drive to your sound card (as is the
case for any laptop, all machines you buy in a store, and only seems to
not be the case for some random guy on bugzilla that probably installed
his machine himself from parts and is now too lazy to connect the small
cable).

It is also because playback this way will take NO cpu and will work on
any kind of CD, while ripping-on-the-fly playback will take quite a bit
of CPU, lock up your system on cd errors, and probably fail
spectacularly on the "crippled"
looks-like-a-cd-but-philips-won't-let-you-call-it-a-cd

So I wouldn't recommend a revert, I'd just recommend that by default it
builds with the old mechanism, and people who chose to compile with
gstreamer on-the-fly support can do so.  Then in the next cycle,
somebody can do the work so that this is an option to be selected, and
get it more widely tested.

Thomas

But you never lost your beauty
Although you lost your hope
And you made no mistake you couldn't wash away
with liar's tears pouring down your face