Re: gnome-user-share

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 15:34 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Not horrible things, but still. I really like the simple stuff.
>
> If it follows symlinks, it would be fair enough to only allow one
> directory, but at the same time, we end up with that same problem of
> translatable path names.
> You'd probably want users to be able to name the public folder, or at
> least choose a folder underneath their home directory.

Hmm? Why? Do they want this with e.g. the Desktop dir too? Will they
then mind when apps hardcode the original name so you'll get two public
directories? (This is what happens in non-english windows a lot.)

In general, the approach I'd like to go for with "well known" named
homedir subdirectories is to use a english filename (such as ~/Desktop),
and then use something like .directory files to translate them in the
UI. That way its easy to write scripts and what-have-you that work, and
it'll all look nice in the UI anyway. This is the approach we're looking
at for ~/Desktop and ~/Templates anyway.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suicidal Jewish librarian She's a green-fingered bisexual opera singer
who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!