Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 10:58 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:52 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> > > On Maw, 2004-09-21 at 14:12, Davyd Madeley wrote:
>
> > > You want more than monitor - a lot of the systems can set policies so
> > > you want policy selector. These tend to include "performance", "maximum
> > > battery life" and the like. Sometimes you need to switch at runtime (eg
> > > when playing bzflag) to avoid the CPU speed change messing with your
> > > game.
> >
> > For to set a policy is necessary to be root and in a common case an
> > applet is not running as root. I think it can be solved by using an
> > external program as a policy selector. It will prompt for root password,
> > like the clock applet does calling to gst to set the time. The problem
> > is that it could be an annoying process for a so simple task.
>
> A laptop system will likely be configured for this to not be the case.
> If I handed out a laptop running Linux to employees here, I'd definitely
> do that.  Laptops are usually single-user systems and it's not like
> adjusting the policy is going to severely damage anything.  (Assuming
> the available policies _are_ locked down.)
>
> The applet could provide a menu of the policy options.  When one is
> clicked, an external tool is run to do the actual change.  This tool
> can, on systems that are designed that actually care about ease-of-use,
> use something like console-helper - it'll either just do its job without
> any complaint (and the applet will be updated to reflect the new
> policy), or it'll popup the authentication dialog to pester users about
> the root password.  (or the user password, or whatever policy the admin
> has configured.)

Someone has written a CPU Freq applet thing to do this called Emifreq.

http://zzrough.free.fr/emifreq.php

I haven't had time to have a look at it besides what the screenshots
show. Or pit it against the applet that Carlos wrote (which has always
been quite sturdy). However, I think it covers what you're talking
about.

--d

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA