gnome-ppp [was: Re: the future of GNOME Applets]

(CCing the author in case he's not on the list.)

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 23:28 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 10:52 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > A little off-topic, but people using dial-up should check out GNOME-PPP
> > (http://www.gnome-ppp.org)  It has worked great on the systems I've put
> > it on.  (Honestly, that's only a couple, since dial-up is something I
> > avoid.)
>
> I had forgotten about this project. Random thoughts from rereading the
> page... (might get a bit off-topic from applets)
>
> This allows us to configure connections, as well as initiate and control
> connections. I'm not sure how it wraps wvdial exactly, but one assumes
> it is probably staying resident for the lifespan of wvdial.
> There is no reason this application couldn't put something into the
> notification area for the lifespan of the connection (seems sensible,
> dialup connections are transient; in fact, it might already do it).

It does put a notification icon up.  Well, actually, it's an option, and
it probably _shouldn't_ be an option (no reason to turn it off), but
that's a fairly simple change to make if it were to be, say, proposed as
a module for GNOME 2.10.

> Inclusion of this applet in GNOME with a notification area icon would
> deprecate the modemlights applet completely, solving my problem.
>
> This all seems especially useful if the program can also do
> ISDN/PPPoe/VPNs etc.

See the new "Future Plans" page the author put up.

> Not sure who the developer is, but perhaps they should suggest this
> package for GNOME 2.10. Ideally, like all GNOME modules, could do with
> some HAL love, but that would allow it to completely replace
> modemlights.

HAL love would be good - you currently have to manually select your
modem.  It would be a simple change, I imagine, to make it query the
list of available modems and provide a drop-down selection vs just
entering the device path.