Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 12:59 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> There's lots of dynamic hardware support stuff popping up in applet land at
> the moment (just picking on this one as an example). It would be great to
> have a simpler way to add/remove applets for both the user *and* the running
> system, so much so that it becomes a "tick a checkbox" operation.

I agree with this. Perhaps the panel people, and myself and anyone who
is interested should get together and attempt to nut out a next
generation method for handling applets. I want a next generation applet
system that we can share with KDE. To stop notification area abuse once
and for all!

> Ubuntu currently detects whether your computer is a laptop on package
> install, and installs the appropriate defaults (wifi and battery applet)
> based on that. It's a hack.
>
> It would be ideal if applets could be added by the system as you set up
> devices. Good examples are the wifi applet (though that problem will be
> solved with NetworkManager most likely), the disk mount applets (adding one
> when you have a removeable device plugged in), the mixer applet (only useful
> if you have sound hardware), cpufreq, etc.

Perhaps a short-term solution would be to take all the hardware related
applets... battery, netstatus, cpufreq, etc. and combine them all into
one "Hardware Applet".
The hardware applet would talk to HAL/whatever, and pop up discrete
items for all the relevant hardware it finds on your system. Kind of
like the notification area, but for hardware. Ideally it would look
about the same as if you'd grouped all the hardware applets together at
the moment.

It's not a long term solution, because while I have most of my hardware
applets together, I have the mixer separate, and I like it that way.

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA