Re: Revisiting the GNOME Panel in general...

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 11:47 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 03:06:50PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> >    Or another example.  Click the Rhythmbox icon to start it, that icon
> >    should subsequently serves the same purpose as the current
> >    notification icon.
> I think this would be cool, i think MacOSX does something simlar in that
> the launcher becomes the way to maximize it/minimize it, not a
> notification icon.
>
> Though, this isnt suited to everything as sometimes youwant more than
> one of something open, how do you distinguish between them?

This same problem exists now -- if you want more than one application
open which uses a notification icon, you get two icons you can't
distinguish between.

We'd need some method to ensure the application took over the launcher
that started it, but it gives you a fighting chance of remembering which
one was which.

> > The panel would also need some way of knowing where the user likes
> > applets to appear.  Starting an application like Rhythmbox from the menu
> > would need to place its applet somewhere sensible, and if the user
> > doesn't lock it onto the panel it should probably vanish and not turn
> > into a launcher when closed.  (You'd probably want to remember the
> > location for next time its started though).
>
> The biggest problem I see here is space, if you take your wireless card
> out, add some extra stuff it might be forced to overwrite the space the
> wireless card applet was in, this poses two problems

The way I was thinking about this was the Panel would worry about the
relative ordering of the applets, rather than their exact location.

So the right-hand zone would have a list like this:

	battery
	cpufreq
	wifi (hidden)
	sound
	clock
	weather
	window list

Plugging the wifi card in would "unhide" the applet (and actually start
the process) and the applets to the left of it would shuffle up to make
room.

The relative ordering of the applets remains the same, so you'll find
them easily enough.  Their exact position on screen will vary, but I
don't think this is an issue.

What do you do when you actually *do* run out of room?  I think some
kind of disclosure could be done to make this work.

Scitt
--
Scott James Remnant
scott canonical com