Re: GtkFileChooser extensions

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 01:29 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Could someone write a FileChooser extension to add a tab-complete file entry
> box, so those who want it can stop complaining? :-)

People have to look at the bigger picture.

The old GtkFileSelection had pretty damn good tab completion.  Apart
from that, it was thoroughly useless.

The new GtkFileChooser is pretty damn good for selecting files, but it
has mediocre tab completion.  The idea is to make it so good out of the
box that you don't need tab completion.

There are several things that need to be done.

- JRB has been working on type-ahead, or interactive search.  Hit
File/Open and start typing something, and the file list selects the file
that starts with the letters you typed.  If you type "/", then it does
bring up the location dialog.

- Owen suggested being able to press Alt-1, Alt-2, ..., Alt-0 to switch
to the respective shortcut or bookmark folders.

- Matthias and Owen have been working on improving tab completion in the
location dialog.

You can already test type-ahead in the HEAD branch.  We are not sure if
it should go in the gtk-2-4 branch, although the patches are in the
Fedora package.

It's just bugs.  Why don't people fix them?

  Federico