Re: the future of the release team

I agree with Mark that the release process has seemed to go quite well
recently.  That's one reason why I was (and am, to be honest) reluctant
to embrace changes in a process which appears, from the outside, to be
working.

What I seem to hear from Mark is that the process, seen from the inside,
could benefit from change.  My only suggestion here is that we might
keep the process the same from the "outside" perspective, i.e. same
process for maintainers, same "release-team" email alias, while letting
the folks with a vested interest in the internals of the process divide
the responsibility as they see fit, i.e. people on the "release-team"
alias know their individual roles and responsibilities, and act on the
appropriate messages.

Making the internals of the process more transparent can hardly be a bad
thing, as long as we don't "fix" what isn't broken from the point of
view of "non-release-team" maintainers and contributors.  (By
"non-release-team" I mean people who do not wish to, or aren't in a
position to volunteer for release-related activities which have been
"release team" activities in the past.)

- Bill