Re: Gnome 3.0 - menus

On Apr 5, 2005 8:37 PM, Daniel Borgmann <spark-mailinglists web de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 12:35 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > The screenshot shows far less items on the OSX "panel" than what I
> > have. Also, I have arranged them so that some applets are just after
> > the menus. Now, if the menus actually changed all the time, those
> > applets would either fly around or leave gaps when the menus change. I
> > could move them to the other side, but then there would be a million
> > applets together and finding one of them would be harder.
>
> I use quite a lot of applets and I would still have enough space in the
> top panel for an expanding menubar.

Sure, there is space, but it would mean that all applets should be
left-aligned or some arbitrary distance from the right edge at least.

> If I check the length of typical
> menubars, they merely take a fraction of available screen width. If
> there is not enough space, it could have an overflow dropdown, similar
> to Gtk toolbars.

A fraction? This typical application I am using (epiphany) has 8 items
in the menubar and takes up little over 500 of the 1280 pixels
available. You must have some resolution, dude. But nobody uses
800x600 anymore anyways, right? [1]

*When* there is not enough space, overflowing menus sounds awful. I
already hate submenus because they are clumsy to trigger, adding more
sounds more like a regression than advancement in usability to me.

For toolbars the overflowing is not *so* bad, since it basically just
makes them another menu. I still think the overflowing should happen
to another row of buttons, since toolbar buttons should only be those
that you really really need frequently (so there shouldn't be too much
of them anyways).

> In any case, I think that Gtk should definitely have support for this,
> once the standard exists. Then we could still discuss, whether it would
> be a good desktop default.

It wouldn't, but that's just my opinion :)

[1] Wrong.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi