Re: GUADEC Hacking

Sean Middleditch wrote:
On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 18:21 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

The culprit is pretty obviously GConf which is why I'm glad DConf is considering having a DB backend to address this. The short term fixes

First off, that is not at all "obvious."  Any evidence to show that it's
the major culprit?

yes we know its disk seeks that are causing the problem and secondly GConf is the most disk intensive service at start up and lastly due to its design of having loads of files that need to be read. Put all three together...

Second, DConf does not exist, let's not bring it into any discussions
regarding the fixing of GConf.  There is no guarantee that DConf will
*ever* exist.  Worry about the here and now.  :)

I didn't! I only mentioned the fact that is was considering using a DB - Im not saying we should wait for it as GConf will get slower as it grows in the meantime.

jamie.