Re: Evince as universal "Viewer"

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 16:58 +0200, Thom Holwerda wrote:

> I agree with you on this one. It's one of the features of my iBook that
> I adore more than anything: the fact that all images and pdf files get
> loaded in one single application. If i had the say, .txt and the likes
> should also be added to the list of files to view via Evince.

I think a viewer application should be the default for all files
basically because I view content *much* more often than edit it.
However there should be an easy way to switch from the viewer
application to another one that allows editing.

I have added '-view' parameter to OpenOffice.org 2.0 beta .desktop files
and now OOo opens files read-only.  Yet editing mode is just one click
away.  I think it supports my way of working better than before.

But OOo is heavy, it would be so nice to be able to use Evince as a
lightweight viewer for OOo, MS Word and PPT files as well.  The OOo
document rendering core should be much lighter if you could separate it
from the rest of the GUI.

Of course distinguishing between viewer and editing application in more
general case (eog vs. gimp) is more difficult problem and has
implications all over the place.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 tommi komulainen iki fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6