Re: Should translators change source strings?

Adam Weinberger wrote:

> We are under-utilizing our translators' abilities. For every developer
> that doesn't wish to spend his or her time making grammar and spelling
> changes, I propose the following:
>
> Every module may have a file named po/README.TRANSLATORS. In this file,
> developers may put instructions such as "Only simple spelling and
> grammar fixes" or "Please make any change necessary" or "Do not make
> changes at all" or "You break it, you buy it". Absence of
> po/README.TRANSLATORS will mean that translators have implicit
> permission to edit the source strings themselves to resolve simple,
> obvious grammar and spelling errors. (I.e.  more complex or non-obvious
> changes will still require a bugzilla bug to be filed.)

> Developers: what say you? Do you like this idea?

It would be nice to add:

If you fix a typo or wording in source string, it would be nice to fix
the string in all .po files to prevent fuzzy translations:

There is an example:

# do the change
sed 's/\(^msgid .*\)ytpo/\1typo/' *.po
# verify it
cvs diff

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/