Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 23:40 +0200, Jeroen Zwartepoorte wrote:
> On 8/21/05, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
> > Also basic support for "styled editing," i.e. right now to implement a
> > Bold button that behaves like the one in a word processor is fairly
> > involved with GtkTextView. So some kind of API for that might be cool.
>
> What kind of API are you thinking about here?
>
> Imho, the current API isn't that difficult to use. Maybe we just need
> to advertise/provide some more examples on how to use it:
>
> 1. create a new GtkTextTag: gtk_text_tag_new ("bold");
> 2. set the bold attribute: g_object_set (tag, "weight",
> PANGO_WEIGHT_BOLD, NULL);
> 3. get a start & end iter for the text you want to apply the tag to
> 4. call gtk_text_buffer_apply_tag_by_name

That isn't good enough though; there are a bunch of detailed behaviors
that are expected if you have a normal word-processor-style toolbar with
text styles. I don't remember all of them but for example when you
select text and choose a style it should apply to the selection, when
you have an empty buffer things need to work, I think some other stuff.
I remember spending a lot of time on it.

Havoc