Re: Removing xrdb for 10% startup win?

Alan Cox wrote:
decus cpp is good enough in my experience to process these files, about
40K and public domain. Its ANSI-ish but not strict and perfect in all
respects. The ACK pre-processor is also now free and might be useful but
does rather more than would be wanted.

These seem both to be a little bit old and are not packaged by many distributions. As an alternative, I've been looking at mcpp:

http://www.m17n.org/mcpp/index_eng.html

It's more recent, about 93k in size, and reads no external libraries. Replacing cpp with mcpp decreases startup time by ~1s on my system.

If we want to use mcpp, we would need to either pass "-cpp mcpp" to the calls to xrdb both in the X init scripts and in gnome-settings-daemon, or to configure xrdb to use it, e.g. by detecting mcpp's presence at X.org compile time and using it if it's there.

Comments?

Cheers,
Lorenzo