Re: EOG features

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 12:18 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 23:08 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
>
> > > My plan is: 1) add an "Open With" "File" menu item to make it easy to
> > > access an image editor; 2) replace "Save"  and "Save as" menu items
> > > with a "Save  copy" one, like Evince; 3) auto-rotate images based on
> > > EXIF data.
> >
> > Auto-rotation sounds like another good reason to support re-saving
> > the original image... if EOG is going to do some sort of useful
> > 'editing' for me, it seems a shame to spoil it by then having to give
> > the corrected image a different name.  I'd vote for just giving the
> > user the option of Save and Save As, like any other document-based app.
>
> I think auto-rotation makes much more sense if rotation is a "view"
> function rather than an editing function. If you open a file with
> orientation information I'm not sure physically rotating it and changing
> back the orientation metadata is right. It seems to be a loss of
> information to me. (Not even mentioning the great care you have to take
> to rotate jpegs losslessly.)
>
> I would personally prefer a quick image viewer to not support editing
> (and thus save, except "save a copy"), and implement rotation as a view
> function, with auto-rotation bases on the file metadata. It could even
> reuse the rotation you used last time (saved on a per-file basis). I
> think it makes the "viewer" aspect of EOG more clear, especially in
> relation to "editor" apps, and a consistent standpoint here will
> generally guide you to good UI decisions.

Sounds pretty cool, but I wonder, what about files that doesn't have
rotation metadata? No posibility to rotate them inside EOG?.

Another point to take into account is the ammount of info that would be
needed to save the last used rotation using a per-file basis. Probably
that works in evince because a normal user doesn't have 50.000 PDF/PS
documents, but maybe 50.000 images; and that is too much info.

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl>