Re: autotools gives autopain

> > Gnome currently uses the GNU Autotools for building all projects.
> > Autotools is hard to work with and complicated and there are lots of
> > techically superior build systems out there. Therefore, I suggest that
> > GNOME should gradually replace Autotools with scons (www.scons.org).
>
> I'd suggest that this would not be a very interesting topic of discussion on
> this list *unless* you converted one of the existing GNOME modules to scons

Right. That's the easy part. Any GNOME modules wanna sign up for a
FREE conversion to scons? Limited supply, order now!

> and demonstrated its benefits to developers, distributors and users of GNOME
> (who care about building it from revision control or tarballs). That'll be a

That is the hard part. You can't demonstrate the benefit without
getting them to try it and you can't get them to try it without
demonstrating the benefit. Moment 22.

> great starting point for a discussion, while arguing theoretical stuff won't
> really get us anywhere. :-)

Agreed. I'll come back with a demo. Atleast it is good to know that
the door isn't "slammed shut" for migrating to another build system.

--
mvh Björn