Re: Another way to solve the Spatial vs. Navigational debate

On 12/22/05, Shane O'Connor <Shane Oconnor sun com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 00:24, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > As a new user how do I know what I want?
>
> New users want simplicity and spatial mode is definitely not simplicity
> ;)

New users want simplicity and browser mode is not simple either.

In fact, file management isn't. My wife doesn't do it. She seemingly
doesn't care to clean up the desktop (==managing files) even though
it's rapidly filling up from downloads etc.

She is also constantly bitching about not having a decent way to
navigate the images in our photo folder categorized as "date/time.jpg"
and found the browser mode even worse at it than the spatial after I
upgraded and the new ubuntu default had set in.

Guess I need to adapt myself to the f-spot import so she can use that.

Anyway, the point is that the new (and most of the old) users don't
want to manage files, they just want to have places to look at stuff.
The work done to achieve this is great, but lacking in premeditaded
solutions (ie. "dumbing down" that would benefit the newbies and annoy
Power Users(tm))

/me hides from the flames

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi