Re: Browser Mode by Default [Was: Nautilus]

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 17:04 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 03:43 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Bastien Nocera">
> >
> > > Not quite, the theory is good, but the implementation is lacking in
> > > details. What made the MacOS spatial finder great was:
> >
> > ... and yet users will still ask: "What are all these windows doing all over
> > my screen?" -> *that* is the big scary thing staring them right in the face.
>
> But users would learn the tricks, but the problem is that there's no
> tricks to learn here :)

I have rarely seen users learn tricks. For (a terrible anecdotal)
example, I have shown a certain relative the key bindings for copy and
paste well over 20 times. Does the person use it? Of course not.
Keyboard shortcuts and combinations are slick to those who take the time
to learn them. But, if you are basing your preference for a "spatial"
model on slick key + mouse combinations, then it is apparent that you
have not seen more traditional users use a computer.

Eric

(examples at http://betterdesktop.org btw)