Re: GConf Stability - how to add icons to panel

On sam, 2005-02-05 at 17:49 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 10:10 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
>
> > > These are issues I hope to address when we have a new panel.
> > > http://live.gnome.org/AppletsRevisited
> >
> > If I add a dbus interface to the panel in 2.12 to control panel objects
> > (i.e. list objects, add an object, remove an object), won't it be
> > enough? I don't think there is a need for a *new* panel to make this
> > happen...
>
> I'm not sure.
>
> I want to completely overhaul the API for panel applets, drop Bonobo,
> and do a heap of other stuff that we currently do poorly. I'm hoping
> that we can sit down at GUADEC and work out what is needed. I really
> want to have this working properly, be totally kick-arse, and also (if
> possible) interoperate with KDE.

Are we talking about 3.0 plans or 2.x plans?
I'm okay to redesign everything, but I'm just not sure that we *need* to
do this. If it's just a matter of changing the API of libpanel-applet, I
don't think we need to overhaul the whole panel/applet design. Also, a
list of what we currently do poorly might be helpful...

So, yes, let's start by working out what is needed and then find
technical solutions. The wiki page should probably be reworked to
clearly express what applets need.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�