Weird problem with gnome-applets-2.9.6

I started getting a lot of user complaints about gnome-applets crashing.
I poked around, and found something really bizarre.  All of the paths in
config.h were preceded by a '$'.  For example:

#define GNOME_PIXMAPSDIR "$/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/pixmaps"

This is caused by the following code in configure:

  test "x$prefix" = xNONE && prefix="$ac_default_prefix"
  test "x$exec_prefix" = xNONE && exec_prefix='${prefix}'
  ac_define_dir=`eval echo $"${pixmapsdir}"`
  ac_define_dir=`eval echo $ac_define_dir`
  GNOME_PIXMAPSDIR="$ac_define_dir"

If I remove the '$' from the line:

ac_define_dir=`eval echo $"${pixmapsdir}"`

And remove the line below that, config.h is generated correctly.  The
reason I'm bringing this up here is I don't know if this is something
that would work in bash (FreeBSD uses the pure Bourne shell), or if this
is caused by a bad autoconf run (which may be systemic to more than just
gnome-applets).

Since I've never seen this on any other gnome-applets release, I figured
I'd ask.  Thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome FreeBSD org