Re: moving windows above the top panel

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 15:24 -0800, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
>> I disagree
>> that the default size must be no bigger than that size and I also
>> disagree that this is primarily the app developer's problem.
>
>I disagree. Users don't always gonna use XFce or Metacity, window managers
>that might have the brains in the future to deal with the problem at hand.
>But if a user decides to use another wm, he should not have his gtk or qt
>apps going off the screen with no way to easily resize them down. IF these
>apps were written with 800x600 in mind, even that user of that weird wm
>would be able to use them with no fuss.

>Sorry, but this IS the app's developer fault primarily. If an app developer
>does not do his research about his app's UI and how his app would be used
>and under which circumstances (especially under the very nature of
>unix/linux where many wm exist), then, that shows to me nothing but poor
>software engineering.

  Though I mostly agree with you, keep in mind that with gtk's
container-based layout and i18n, sometimes it's difficult to make sure a
window stays at the ideal size.  I mean, you could try to aim for an
optimum size, but external factors to the programmer will make the
window size vary, sometimes greatly:
	- Translations in some languages make much longer sentences (for
instance, in portuguese sentences are longer than in english), thus
labels become longer, possibly making the window larger.
	- The user-selected application font size; larger font makes the window
larger and taller.

  Even if programmers are good willing, they can't ultimately control
the window size.  Then it's up to the window manager to step in, as last
resort.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic